Wednesday, December 9

Birthdays Are Lonely Days


I celebrated my birthday last night.

I'm kind of a boring guy, so I didn't do much. I saw a movie.

I always see a movie on my birthday. It's a tradition I enjoy. It keeps me entertained. Sometimes the movie I see isn't very good. Sometimes, it's awful. But I never regret it.

One year, I had the misfortune of seeing the double feature of "Vertical Limit" and "Dungeons & Dragons". "D & D" was obviously a poor excuse for a motion picture.

The only thing I enjoyed about that garbage pail of a movie was Jeremy Irons' insane performance. When he screams "LET THE BLOOD RAIN FROM THE SKIES!!!" during the climactic dragon battle, I laughed like a maniac.

To this day, my cousin and I will just randomly scream that line at inopportune times. Still makes us laugh.

My pal Titus, who has appeared in several of my photoplays, has always been a huge "D & D" fan, and was understandably excited to see the inevitable big-screen adaptation of his favorite pen-and-paper RPG.

Ky and I found ourselves sitting next to Titus' little brother Josh during the screening of "D & D". We asked where Titus was, and Josh told us that he was getting off work late and was coming to catch the late screening of the film.

The three of us laughed our asses off throughout the movie, but as we walked out of the theatre, we realized that our friend Titus was likely have a much different reaction to the movie.

We caught him in line, waiting to buy a ticket for the late show. We convinced Titus to skip out on "D & D", and instead, we all went to see "Vertical Limit". We rarely talk out loud during any theatrical experience, but this movie was so lame, the four of us went MST3K on this bitch.

And the best part of it was that the audience began laughing with us and at the cinematic turd unspooling before our eyes. It was a magical moment, my friends. Magical.

About a year later, Titus informed me that he finally watched the "Dungeons & Dragons" movie on DVD. He calmly told me that in convincing him to avoid watching the movie on that fateful night, I probably saved someone's life. I believe him.

This year, I watched "The Fantastic Mr. Fox". It was great. Happy Birthday to me.

"Invasion!" has 127 hits, by the way. Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment